I relish the dual responsibility of performing translational research as a clinical scientist at the Tata Translational Cancer Research Center and providing clinical services at the Tata Medical Center where I work as a haematopathologist and head the cytogenetics department. The cytogenetics team provides diagnostic services in both haematological neoplasms and solid tumors.
I was awarded a grant by the Department of Biotechnology (BT/PR12046/MED/12/665/2014) to fund my work in refining the genomic Characterisation of Precursor B Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia using SNP arrays and high throughput sequencing technologies. Nationally I the lead the cytogenetics group in the multi centre collaborative national trial (ICiCLE) for newly diagnosed patients with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
TTCRC has provided me a fertile ground to integrate my clinical background with basic research.
Although I started with genomics as my primary interest I actively work with the Clinical Research Unit, Cell Biology team and the Bioinformatics team.
- MD in Pathology in 2004 from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune.
- Trained and worked in oncopathology at the prestigious Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai till 2006.
- Pursuing my interest in cancer genetics, I went on to do two year post doctoral fellowship in Clinical Cytogenetics at Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- Awarded the Indian Council of Medical Research International Fellowship for young Scientists 2012-2013.
- Did my fellowship at Duke Institute of Genomic Sciences, Duke University, USA working on microarrays and Next Generation Sequencing.
- Was Awarded grant by Department of Biotechnology (DBT) for my work on Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia.
- Have more than 50 national and international Publications in both solid and liquid tumor genomics.
- Have written chapters in books including de Gruchy’s Clinical Haematology in Medical Practice
- My areas of interest include, development, integration and translational of high throughput genomic techniques into diagnosis and risk stratification of malignancies.